whence RPCBIND_ARGS?

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Sat Jan 2 22:53:53 UTC 2010

On 02Jan2010 14:47, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
|   i'm tracing the execution of rpcbind on my f12 system, and in the
| common code, i read:
|
| prog="rpcbind"
| [ -f /etc/sysconfig/$prog ] && . /etc/sysconfig/$prog
|
| while in the start() function, there is:
|
| daemon $prog $RPCBIND_ARGS $1
|
|   i'm curious about this since:
|
| 1) there's no apparent documentation for setting/using $RPCBIND_ARGS

"man rpcbind" describes a heap of options. Clearly you can put any of
them into RPCBIND_ARGS.

| 2) there's no /etc/sysconfig/rpcbind file for initial config

A pity. There really ought to be a stub file with an empty
RPCBIND_ARGS="" assignment. And a comment.

| 3) there's no mention of RPCBIND_ARGS in the rpcbind man page

Of course not. It's an artifact of the f12 startup scripts, not the
rpcbind daemon itself.

|   admittedly, that doesn't make any of this *wrong*, it just seems
| that $RPCBIND_ARGS is kind of hanging out there, without anyone making
| an effort to explain what might be done with it or why it would be
| useful.  thoughts?

Like all the /etc/sysconfig files, you can put something like:

 RPCBIND_ARGS="-h some.local.lan.address"

or the like to start rpcbind with particular arguments.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Feeling Stressed Out?
Sometimes it helps to think of happy scenes, maybe a pastoral field, a field
with a babbling brook.  You're there on a lovely summer's day . . .
. . . holding someone's head under the water.  Now you're letting them up for
a second, then blam!  Back into the freezing water!  Over and over again!!
There! Feel better?
        - Steve Daniels (Official JBT of a.p) <daniels at cdsnet.net>