Also having NFSv4 problems

Robert G. (Doc) Savage dsavage at peaknet.net
Mon Jan 4 00:02:03 UTC 2010

I have mirrors of several repositories a 1TB hardware raid array mounted
as /pub on a RHEL54 server. I want to locally export that to several F12
laptops and desktop machines on a gigabit home network using nfs4. I'm
having trouble getting F12 nfs4 clients to mount the exported directory
on the RHEL54 server. The error I'm getting on the F12 client is:

        # mount -v -t nfs4 -o rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr lion:/pub /lion
        mount.nfs4: timeout set for Sun Jan  3 17:16:25 2010
        mount.nfs4: trying text-based options 'rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr,addr=192.168.1.2,clientaddr=192.168.1.7'
        mount.nfs4: mount(2): Operation not permitted
        mount.nfs4: Operation not permitted

Local details:
RHEL54 server 'lion' = 192.168.1.2
/etc/exports = *(rw), owned by root, permissions 644
F12 laptop 'tiger' = 192.168.1.7

The server looks fine:

        # service nfs restart
        Shutting down NFS mountd:                                  [  OK  ]
        Shutting down NFS daemon:                                  [  OK  ]
        Shutting down NFS quotas:                                  [  OK  ]
        Shutting down NFS services:                                [  OK  ]
        Starting NFS services:                                     [  OK  ]
        Starting NFS quotas:                                       [  OK  ]
        Starting NFS daemon:                                       [  OK  ]
        Starting NFS mountd:                                       [  OK  ]

The problem appears to be on the F12 client side:

        # service nfs restart
        Shutting down NFS mountd:                                  [FAILED]
        Shutting down NFS daemon:                                  [  OK  ]
        Shutting down NFS quotas:                                  [  OK  ]
        Shutting down NFS services:                                [FAILED]
        Starting NFS services:                                     [  OK  ]
        Starting NFS quotas:                                       [  OK  ]
        Starting NFS daemon:                                       [  OK  ]
        Starting NFS mountd: Usage: rpc.mountd [-F|--foreground] [-h|--help] [-v|--version] [-d kind|--debug kind]
                [-o num|--descriptors num] [-f exports-file|--exports-file=file]
                [-p|--port port] [-V version|--nfs-version version]
                [-N version|--no-nfs-version version] [-n|--no-tcp]
                [-H ha-callout-prog] [-s|--state-directory-path path]
                [-g|--manage-gids] [-t num|--num-threads=num]
                                                                   [FAILED]

About four years ago I was able to set up a similar arrangement using
nfs3 on RHEL4 and F6, but this is my first attempt with nfs4. I seem to
be having the same problem Robert P.J. Day is having with rpc.mountd.

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL.0