control-C and yum update

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Mon Jan 4 05:42:48 UTC 2010

A quick question which is hopefully just "an education request" ...

While reinstalling f12 on a machine that I "messed up", I was following
all my notes and directions and reached the point where the install was
successful and it was time to update. I did a "su -l" and then typed
"yum update". I realized I had forgotten something and immediately did a
"control-C" in the terminal that I had executed the "yum update". To my
surprise, it ignored it until it got to the first confirm and then
proceeded to kill the process. No problem as the update was stopped but ...

I though "control-C" was an immediate kill of whatever was running and
was wondering why yum didn't stop when I tried to kill it.

Am I missing something about either "control-C" or "yum update" .. or both?

Thanks in advance for any explanation as I am wondering if I really
understand "control-C"
Paul