yum update question

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 08:34:11 UTC 2010

On Monday 04 January 2010 08:15:13 Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> > On Monday 04 January 2010 05:50:54 Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> >> [...]
> >>     Installing: kernal-PAE-2.6.31.9-174.fc12.i686
> >>  W:  Possible missing firmware ql8100_fw.bin for module qla2xxx.lo
> >>  W:  Possible missing firmware aic94xx-seq_fw.bin for module aic94xx.lo
> >> [...]
> >
> > Did you also get the message like:
> >
> > Processing delta metadata
> > /boot/initramfs-2.6.31.5-127.fc12.x86_64.img: contents have been changed
> > delta does not match installed data
>
> Let me check the log tomorrow ... your "delta doesn't match" sounds
> familiar and, if such is the case, I will attach myself to the bugzilla
> you provided

I am not sure where is this message logged, but definitely not in yum.log, as I
didn't find it there later on when I looked up again. I also don't know where
those kernel warnings were logged, if at all... :-)

But anyway, there is no need to attach yourself to that bugzilla, just read it
to understand what is happening. There is a particular link to the
codemonkeys.org website with more clearer explanation. In a nutshell, it's
just deltarpm and kernel rpm confusing each other about how big the
initramfs.img file should be. And it just so happens that those firmware modules
happen to reside in that file, so during the kernel installation you get the
warning that they might get missing. But this never happens, because the
kernel has those modules already, and just needs to recreate the initramfs,
which happens automatically.

So nothing to worry about. ;-)

Best, :-)
Marko