reboot cycle, no log messages

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 00:40:58 UTC 2010

Okay, I had a little more time this morning, so, ...

On Jan 5, 2010, at 6:11 AM, Joel Rees wrote:

> On Jan 3, 2010, at 12:51 AM, Roberto Ragusa wrote:
>
>> Joel Rees wrote:
>>> yum provides libfreebl3.so tells me that nss-softokn-freebl is
>>> installed. Trying an erase to re-install it tells me that most of
>>> the OS
>>> and most of the apps seem to be dependent on it, one way or
>>> another. Hmm.
>>
>> Bypass yum.
>>
>>   rpm -V nss-softokn-freebl
>>
>> or/and
>>
>>   rpm -Uhv --replacepkgs --oldpackage nss-softokn-freebl.....rpm
>
> Well, yeah, I'm expecting to use that as a workaround. (Thanks for
> saving me the trouble of trying to remember the --replacepkgs
> option. :-)

Ended up using yum reinstall. Didn't change anything.

>> Are you on 32 or 64 bit? If 64, maybe the libs are incomplete.
>
> 32 bit.
>
> Seems odd this hasn't bitten others yet. I'm hoping it doesn't mean
> the hard disk itself is dying, or that LVM has issues with my setup
> and is corrupting the file system.

So I checked my command history, and apparently I still thought the
missing file was libfreeb13.so when I searched for it before, rather
than libfreebl3.so.  (erk) So it was probably never missing, which is
comforting to know. Sort of.

Anyway, I ended up commenting all the old file system partitions out
of /etc/fstab and that allows it to boot. That's okay, because I can
mount them by hand once I'm logged in, and I probably should copy all
the files I need in from backup instead of just making them available
where they were.

But I'm going to file a bug on this, I think. Whatever the reason it
won't mount the old stuff during boot, it shouldn't try to drop me to
a shell and then force a reboot because it can't load the file
necessary to allow me to drop to a shell. I had to boot from a rescue
install at one point because the reboot cycle would never end.

Joel Rees