yum update question

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Tue Jan 5 01:34:19 UTC 2010

Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Monday 04 January 2010 08:15:13 Paul Allen Newell wrote:
>
>> Marko Vojinovic wrote:

>>> Did you also get the message like:
>>>
>>> Processing delta metadata
>>> /boot/initramfs-2.6.31.5-127.fc12.x86_64.img: contents have been changed
>>> delta does not match installed data
>>>
>> Let me check the log tomorrow ... your "delta doesn't match" sounds
>> familiar and, if such is the case, I will attach myself to the bugzilla
>> you provided
>>

> I am not sure where is this message logged, but definitely not in yum.log, as I
> didn't find it there later on when I looked up again. I also don't know where
> those kernel warnings were logged, if at all... :-)
>
> But anyway, there is no need to attach yourself to that bugzilla, just read it
> to understand what is happening. There is a particular link to the
> codemonkeys.org website with more clearer explanation. In a nutshell, it's
> just deltarpm and kernel rpm confusing each other about how big the
> initramfs.img file should be. And it just so happens that those firmware modules
> happen to reside in that file, so during the kernel installation you get the
> warning that they might get missing. But this never happens, because the
> kernel has those modules already, and just needs to recreate the initramfs,
> which happens automatically.
>
> So nothing to worry about. ;-)
>
> Best, :-)
> Marko

Marko:

I capture and save a cut-and-paste of screen output of most yum updates
I do, so I checked and the "delta" message is there. Appreciate the
additional message ... as I was reading through it I remember having
seen a prior post on such. Not certain why it didn't click at the time,
maybe it was because I remember something about "don't need to worry"
and therefore it didn't stick.

As you suggest, I will blaze ahead and not worry (though I will attach
myself to the bug #544901 so I am aware when it is resolved)

Thanks again,
Paul