problems with system-config-display and crtl-alt-backspace

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Tue Jan 5 05:00:02 UTC 2010

Ed Greshko wrote:
> Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>
>> And I cannot get my notebook to even go over 800x600 for the internal
>> display without using system-config-display to create a xorg.conf to
>> get higher resolution with FC12.  How do I convince X to give me more
>> without the xorg.conf?
>>
>> BTW, this is on an HP nc2400 that has a 12" display, but I have always
>> run it at 1024x768.
>>

> When you run system-config-display what shows as "Hardware--->Monitor
> Type".  I had, what I believe, was a similar problem.  Setting it to
> "Generic LCD Display--->LCD Panel (with native resolution of my
> notebook)" fix my issue.

Ed:

But doesn't the execution of system-config-display generate an
xorg.conf, which is what I know I am trying to avoid (and I think Robert
from his additions)? I scanned the web and didn't spot anything implying
the contrary, but I admit my web searching skills have been lacking on
the past couple times I've tried to find thing.

Paul