control-C and yum update

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Tue Jan 5 22:12:20 UTC 2010

On 10-01-05 03:01:45, Tim wrote:
> In the yum updating case, it's breaking the current process
> (downloading some file), but not the thing controlling it.  You'd
> need to CTRL+C more than once, to break the chain of events higher
> up.

No, yum is doing the download in-process.  It takes two Ctrl-C's to
quit during download so one can switch mirrors with one Ctrl-C.  Yum is
getting both of them and counting and timing them to decide what to do.

The approach I took in my stablemirror yum plugin is to show a short
menu of commands and let the user choose one, rather than count and
time them.  Either way works, but my way offers more choices.