i686 packages in my Fedora 12 x86_64 [SOLVED]

Germán A. Racca german.racca at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 22:15:24 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 16:59 -0500, Bill McGonigle wrote:
> On 01/05/2010 02:44 PM, Germán A. Racca wrote:
> > I have freshly installed Fedora 12 x86_64 in my PC 2 weeks ago. Now I
> > see that I have some (49) packages in both i686 and x86_64
> > architectures. The list is at the end of the message.
> >
> > What should I do?
>
> I haven't figured out the right way to deal with this, but I did just
> last night finally purge an upgraded system of its 32-bit packages with
> something like:
>
> rpm -qa | grep '86$' | sort | xargs --verbose rpm -e --nodeps
>
> And then ran:
>
>    rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest
>
> and:
>
>    package-cleanup --problems
>
> with successful results.  So far so good, yum runs well again.
>
> -Bill

Hi Bill:

Thanks for your suggestions. The problem was that I had installed the
following packages:

gtk2-engines-aurora.i586
gtk2-engines-candido.i586

in my Fedora x86_64, which pulled the dependencies.

But now, I have packaged the engines Candido and Aurora for 64-bit and
then I removed all the 32-bit dependencies installed before without any
problems.

Thanks,
Germán.
--
Germán A. Racca
National Institute for Space Research (INPE)