reading/logging system console messages {/dev/console)

Chad Kellerman sunckell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 16:00:41 UTC 2010

Fedora Users,
    Maybe someone has run into this problem in the past.  Has anyone ever
logged messages that go to /dev/console to a file?

   I thought I could see messages by tail -f /dev/console, but if echo "Is
this thing on?" > /dev/console in another terminal, I don't see the
message.  if I open up an xconsole I can see them, but that doesn't do me
any good.

   In the past we have had a couple hard lock ups (hardware/software
related), and when that happens I can't see any messages in the console
prior to a hard reset.

Thanks for the suggestions,
Chad

--
A grasshopper walks into a bar and the bartender says "Hey, we have a drink
named after you." And the grasshopper says "Really, You have a drink named