fedora core 12 with dual head and kde

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 20:59:52 UTC 2010

On Friday 08 January 2010 18:28:11 Paul Campbell wrote:
> On 01/08/2010 09:53 AM, Andrew Parker wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 5:22 AM, Wolfgang Leideck
> >> how can I configure KDE to spread the desktop over two monitors. I'm
> >> using a Dell Optiplex 760.
> >
> > Can xrandr help you out?  I get the same problem, but xrandr works for
> > me.
>
> Can you explain how you use xrandr so that it works for you
> (parameters, options ? )

If you type just xrandr, it will display relevant info about your setup, among
other things available outputs and their status (connected/disconnected,
etc.). On my laptop there are three outputs, named LVDS1, VGA1 and TV1.
Depending on your graphics card(s) you may have more and they may be named
differently.

Once you have found out the names of relevant outputs, you can do something
like:

xrandr --output LVDS1 --auto --output VGA1 --auto --right-of LVDS1

This puts my laptop screen (LVDS1) in its native resolution (1280x800) as the
left screen, and my external monitor (VGA1) in its native resolution
(1680x1050) as the right screen. That's basically what you need.

There are a lot more options to play around with. For example you may wish to
put both monitors in the same resolution (provided that it is supported by
both monitors) --- just add a "--mode 1024x768" instead of
"--auto" in both places above. Or you may wish to rotate the VGA1 output
upside-down (add "--rotate inverted" after the VGA1 output). And so on...

Finally, you may wish to read man xrandr, paying most attention to version 1.2
options, as they are most commonly used (AFAIK).

HTH, :-)
Marko