[Fedora-livecd-list] Config file format proposal

Tom Lisjac netdxr at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 05:38:10 UTC 2005

On 7/17/05, Darko Ilic <darko.ilic at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here`s my livecd config file format proposal.
>
> We`ve been talking about reusing kickstart file format, but I found
> out that it`s not so good solution. Kickstart file doesn`t include
> complete list of packages but keeps only list of groups to be included
> and relies on comps.xml file and definitions of group members.

The kickstart file format supports excluding files from the default
base set and including individual packages from other groups. The
"Package Selection" tab of the kickstart gui tool is currently group
limited but could be enhanced to support individual selection. The
post-install script can also be used to add and remove packages from a
repository.

The kickstart gui and file format provides a lot of other
configuration information in addition to language and package
selection. For dedicated enterprise applications, specific network and
authentication methods may need to be built into the CD. Many other
kickstart options and switches are available that can drive a fully
automated image build with Anaconda.

> So, please, propose some file layout that could have similar
> structure but that can be easily parsed by both python application
> that is supposed to generate it and bash script that is supposed to
> read information from it.

Several build approaches have been discussed on the list and via IRC.
Just to clarify, have we abandoned the idea of using the kickstart gui
for generating the build file and Anaconda for building the image?

-Tom