[Fedora-livecd-list] Config file format proposal

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Jul 18 19:04:58 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 13:47 +0200, Darko Ilic wrote:
> On Monday 18 July 2005 07:38, Tom Lisjac wrote:
> > The kickstart file format supports excluding files from the default
> > base set and including individual packages from other groups. The
>
> Yes, but what if comps.xml changes? For example, type of package A could be
> changed from optional to mandatory, and we will have it included in our
> LiveCD without intetion...

Unless you're planning on ignoring package dependencies, the same could
happen due to packages having new dependencies.  Going off and defining
your own thing is likely to make things far less adaptive as changes
occur to Fedora Core as now instead of just the comps file having to
change, the live cd stuff will need to change also.

> > The kickstart gui and file format provides a lot of other
> > configuration information in addition to language and package
> > selection. For dedicated enterprise applications, specific network and
> > authentication methods may need to be built into the CD. Many other
> > kickstart options and switches are available that can drive a fully
> > automated image build with Anaconda.
>
> But we decided that image build won`t be done by anaconda. The concept can be
> seen on http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LiveCD.

This means that you're going to have to be able to duplicate all of the
setup types of tasks which anaconda does as well as duplicate all of the
system level setup changes which occur on a per release basis :/