[Fedora-livecd-list] Fedora Live CD project "kick off"

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Thu Mar 31 19:54:27 UTC 2005

On Thursday 31 March 2005 14:25, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
> So.  To get the ball rolling, how about some introductions?  I'll start.

Hello,

I work on SE Linux and the auditing framework for Red Hat. But before I joined
Red Hat, I was building a distribution for use in an ISP setting. I had taken
FC2.5 and applied 200+ patches and wrote a build system. I was struggling
with the idea of how to do the installation - I wasn't a fan of anaconda
since its in python and I don't write python code.

I hit upon the idea of distributing the build as a Live CD. This way if
someone hacks our machine, we just hit the reset button. Upgrading the
machine to a new OS just means ejecting the CD and rebooting to the new
media.

I searched around the internet and ran across Basilisk Live CD. I did a little
work with Dirk Westfal to get the Live CD creation process documented in a
script. This way it is reproducible. I created the Live CD's for that ISP's
linux distribution and it all worked.

I have recently integrated the scripts with the Rookery Build system so that
people can create Live CD's easily. The Live CD kit can be found at:
www.web-insights.net/rookery. You can use pre-built rpms such as Fedora's. I
am actively working on the scripts to make them better. If no one else has
Live CD creation scripts available, I'd like to offer this as a starting
point.

My goals is to help with the technical side and help nail the issues down.
That's about the extent of it.

-Steve Grubb