[Fedora-livecd-list] X11 and desktop speedups?

Skunk Worx skunkworx at verizon.net
Wed Nov 9 04:04:32 UTC 2005

I've had a lot of luck filling the ks %post are with customizations, yum
updating, adding custom packages, etc.

Also getting comfortable modifying the /livecd/kadischi.tar.gz files to
populate /root with some needed KDE menus and scripts, etc. Also am
getting a handle on the py and sh scripts.

I've noticed I have to append "smp" to the kernel version in kadischi.py
to get an smp kernel. Maybe there could be a command line option for
smp? Just an idea.

Right now I'm trying to come up with some way to speed up X11 and the
desktop launch. It seems pretty slow compared to knoppix. I assume it's
the decompression of the lib and bin files, not sure.

Has anyone come up with a way to speed things up? I'm guessing I can
either save some bins and libs to media uncompressed (just as the
kernel, kadaschi.tar.gz, initrd, isolinux, etc. are) or maybe decompress
tarballs on startup into a ramdisk or some such.

Any ideas or success stories are appreciated.

--
SW