[Fedora-livecd-list] OK, folks, where to now?

Albert Strasheim 13640887 at sun.ac.za
Sat Sep 10 14:32:49 UTC 2005

Hello

I would like to propose a slightly different approach to implementing
Kadischi.

Currently, Kadischi calls Anaconda from the command line. This is not
very flexible. In fact, I would go so far as to say that is never going
to be flexible enough (take a look at /usr/sbin/anaconda and you might
agree that nobody wants to add any more code in there).

If Kadishi is built at the same level as /usr/sbin/anaconda, i.e. as a
script that uses the Anaconda modules, I think it can be made much more
flexible. The Xen folks are also looking for an installer, and if you
replace the part where Kadischi makes an ISO and with something that
makes an ext3 image, you have that.

Anaconda needs some work to make this easier to do. The main thing I
can think about here is that the list of install steps are currently
hardcoded. If an interface can be created to add install steps, Kadischi
can do everything within the Anaconda framework.

Another potential problem with Kadischi is that it depends on the
system Anaconda. This means that Kadischi on a Fedora Core 5 system can
probably only make CDs (or USB images, or ext3 images) for Fedora Core
5, especially if you take into account things like the yum backend
changes that are currently ongoing.

USB images are especially interesting, since Kadischi offers a way
(using some kickstart cleverness), to make installations that are only
about 200 or 300 MB. This is very useful for embedded applications.

I think there are ways that the project can be organised so that it can
be useful to a wider audience. Think CentOS CDs and RHEL 4 Xen images,
etc. This would involve making a version of Kadischi available that
includes a specific version of Anaconda. For example, if I download
"kadischi-10.2", I get something that can install any bundle of RPMS
that work with an Anaconda 10.2 installer (so that covers at least
Fedora Core 3 and 4, CentOS 4 and RHEL 4).

I look forward to your comments.

Regards

Albert

P.S. I've attached some code I've been working on. This is basically
/usr/sbin/anaconda with all the "physical hardware" installation stuff
removed. I tested command line, text and graphical installation with
Anaconda 10.2.1.5-2. There seems to be some issues with the graphical
installation and pygtk2 2.4.2, so downgrade to 2.4.0 if you have any
problems.

You might run the script as follows:

mkdir /tmp/sysimage
/opt/kadischi/usr/sbin/kadischi \
  --noselinux \
  --rootpath=/tmp/sysimage \
  -m nfs://foo/bar/fedora/4/i386/os \
  --logfile=/tmp/kadischi.log \
  --text \
  --kickstart /opt/kadischi/ks.cfg

You'll see that I've found a way to override some Anaconda modules. This
will be useful if Kadischi requires changes to Anaconda that cannot
be integrated into Anaconda immediately.

The included ks.cfg creates a 218 MB FC 4 install.