[Fedora-livecd-list] an introduction...

Tim Wood tim.wood at datawranglers.com
Wed Jan 18 16:04:31 UTC 2006

Not having done more than read the docs/faq/etc, I'm going to go on a
limb and echo this.

My motivation for using kadischi is the ability to create various
custom live cds ala INSERT, Knoppix but based on the flavor of linux
I know inside and out.  Although creating custom RPMs could
theoretically get me there, I can see two problems with this approach

First... the subjective objection... Some tasks just feel wrong (to
me) in a RPM ... such as modifying Desktop Patterns and menus.

Second... a practical one... When I'm first trying something out, I'd
like some simpler option.  Right now (if I read the docs write), I've
got a number of post-RPM ways to modify the CD.  If people no longer
have a way to make and test something before creating an entire RPM,
it's going to real hurt the usefulness of this tool.  Right now, it
feels like a progression of ways to make modifications that can be
used as appropriate.  Granted I'm exagerating, but I've never liked
having to build a factory before I can see if my sink idea is any good.

my (uninformed?) 2cents...

Tim Wood