[Fedora-livecd-list] Schedule Topics

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Fri Jan 27 02:46:46 UTC 2006

Not claiming anything, but trying to provide some useful direction.
Unfortunately, time is one thing I don't really have a surplus of at the
moment :-/

On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 23:11 +0100, Chitlesh GOORAH wrote:
>  * !! examine patches to anaconda. Some steps that would anaconda
> normally run are skipped in --livecd mode, and it isn`t checked is it
> 100% safe to do

Unless there's a valid reason not to use --rootpath, it's probably
better to use it.  This will require a little bit of work to get the
step skipping correct for the changes in anaconda in FC5

>  * tweak firstboot so we could use it for system configuration

I'm still not convinced that running firstboot is even really
required...

>  * fix the problem with HWADDRs in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*

One thought would be to actually try to move towards using
NetworkManager -- this is the eventual direction we want to move for the
distro in general, and live CDs could really start going in the right
direction

>  * fix the problem with fonts.dir (during system startup)
>  * provide a way to strip down languages (from /usr/share/local) and
> docs (/usr/share/doc)

See my mails from earlier today for more on this

>  * implement SquashFS (right now it works with zisofs)
>  * modify syslog and other things that log to keep shorter logs
>  * improve build system (work around .am and .ac files, build RPMs)
>  * implement backup/restore function for config files and used data
> (use linux4all b/r as a starting point)
>  * make SELinux work on live system

This will require implementing xattrs for squashfs -- I know the
maintainer has thought about it, but I don't think he's really started
working on it.