[Fedora-livecd-list] Fedora Core Ofiicial LiveCD and DVD media

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Tue Jan 17 17:24:40 UTC 2006

Jeremy Katz wrote:

>On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 05:31 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>

>>>Given the fact that the live CD uses a compressed filesystem, you
>>>actually get more than it sounds like.  So it probably isn't impossible
>>>to fit the majority of a desktop-y install.
>>>

>>Can you confirm that we can use squashfs for the LiveCD now. I believe
>>Anaconda uses it
>>

>Yes, we're using squashfs for anaconda's second stage since we hit
>unfixable problems in cramfs, so it should be reasonable to use squashfs
>for the live CD.

Cool.

>>and how much would do you think it would take to enable
>>the Kadischi tool to better integrate with Anaconda, provide a package
>>as part of Fedora Extras and add in capability to do hard disk
>>installations on demand.
>>

>I don't understand what you're asking here...
>
>Jeremy

Live CD's like Kanotix or Memphis allow direct installation to the hard
disk from the Live CD. That would another way to do an Fedora
Installation.Anyone can mix and match packages from Fedora Core ane
Extras repositories and create a Live cd and distribute it as a formal
installation of Fedora .  A specific use case would be for someone to
create a Fedora SELinux MCS policy live cd for a security presentation
and then a do installation to the hard disk if necessary.

--
Rahul