[Fedora-livecd-list] an introduction...

Michael Kearey mkearey at redhat.com
Wed Jan 18 05:59:19 UTC 2006

> Hi, I'm Bill, and I'm one of the resident old persons/man-behind-the-curtain
> @ RH.
>
> Something I'm intending to work on in the near future is integrating the
> stuff for readonly-root into the base OS; this means that, when done,
> most of the stuff in rc/ shouldn't be needed any more.
>
> Ideally, all that kadischi will need to do will be write the
> /etc/sysconfig/readonly-root file - there shouldn't need to be any
> image prep or similar.
>
> Some of the format of what gets done to enable running readonly
> may change somewhat, as the idea is to have a single framework shared
> by livecd, stateless, or other similar projects. I'll do my best
> to not break kadischi too much without sending patches.

Hi there,

I was thinking that it would be a good design decision to seperate
anything that alters the installed system from the kadisck package and
place it into an RPM package that is installed for the LiveCD system.

ie anything that is currently in kadischi that patches, or alters
anything in the root filesystem of the liveCD instance should be
removed. Anything that is required at run time for a liveCD should be in
a sepearte RPM package.

This will make kadischi as general as possible, and also make it easier
to utilise kadischi to build other RPM based distro's liveCD's - create
a custom RPM for each leaving kadischi itself unchanged.

Cheers,
Michael