[Fedora-livecd-list] Time to pick the weekly meeting back up?

Thilo Pfennig tpfennig at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 17:20:27 UTC 2006

2006/1/20, Thierry Jules <thierryjules at gmail.com>:

Well I had a small summary there in english:

#  NINO will be a completely free (patents, licenses,...) Multimedia DVD
# it shall show off GNOME and Creative Commons material.
# it will be based on Fedora and use the future version of GNOME 2.14
# language will be german and maybe english.
# work is still in progress. expects to be ready sometime this year

The idea was to give the user a nice user experience. Live Cds mostly
are short on space and do not give a lot. Gnome Live CD has some GNOME
specs as PDF (wow, users love this). If the user tries to open
multimedia from the internet because he does not get his food on CD he
will experience that Linux can not play multimedia, because it does
not play the mp3s and realaudio.

This DVD should make a user "full". It also should make him interested
in more. I like the creative commons movies. On A DVD there is also
not unlimited space but we can do "something".

I would suggest to base this DVD on the official Fedora-Live-CD and
then make corrections for what we think should be added or deleted.

On the applications side my vision is to show off some applications.
This means that we always also should give a tutorial. We could also
provide some videos made with the help from the other new exciting
Fedora project "Istanbul"
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ScreenCasting). Certainbly people
should be given tutorials for: GIMP, Inkscape.

Can we also provide preinstalled plugins? Then why not providing
Firefox with some nice extensions although this is not official. But
this DVD should not be officlal - I'd love it to be expermental.

OTOH I would like to put some nice music on it with free licenses. We
could put this all ready made in a playlist. The user should feel
welcomed and have some things to explore. Personally I always found
LiveCds often boring (Knoppix etc.). You don't really experience the
multimedia side of Linux, so people get the impression that Linux is
about partitioning,etc.

I also would suggest to have only one version of the DVD for each
language, so that people do not have to select a language. Maybe we
can let them choose the keyboard if they hit a special key at boot
time?

Question? Should I open a Wiki of my own or would this project fit
into the fedora project wiki workspace?

Greetings,
Thilo
--