[Fedora-livecd-list] Time to pick the weekly meeting back up?

J. Hartline jasperhartline at adelphia.net
Sat Jan 21 03:42:31 UTC 2006

tony wrote:

>I have had success with different packages and different kernels as long
>as they are FC kernels. Modified kernels run into the mkinitrd bug
>mentioned earlier
>
>Tony

I don't actually recall a mkinitrd bug discussed, I think what Jeremy
was saying about the initrd, is that it is
done using a one-off script, e.g. it *may* in certain instances not work.

In any case, without any special configuration, I built a kernel today
to see if I could replicate the problem, I could not.
Here is all I've done, installed kadischi (CVS or RPM), patched
anaconda, edited /etc/kadischi/build.conf to point to /tmp.

Copied all Fedora/RPMS and Fedora/base files to /pub/Fedora/{RPMS,base}
from the FC4 DVD.
mkdir /pub/backup && mv /pub/Fedora/RPMS/kernel* /pub/backup
mv /pub/kernel* /pub/Fedora/RPMS
genhdlist --productpath Fedora /pub
pkgorder /pub i386 Fedora > /pub/Fedora/pkgorder.txt
genhdlist --withnumbers --fileorder /pub/Fedora/pkgorder.txt --hdlist
/pub/Fedora/base/hdlist --productpath Fedora /pub
kadischi --graphical /pub /tmp/custom00.iso

I sit and watch, the kernel gets installed and we'll mount it via
loopback to make sure nothing is playing tricks on us..
[root at localhost boot]# pwd
/mnt/iso/boot
[root at localhost boot]# ls -l vmlinuz* && ls -l initrd*
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 1542110 Jan 20 21:19 vmlinuz-2.6.14-1.1656_FC4.root
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 1006224 Jan 20 21:19
initrd-2.6.14-1.1656_FC4.root.img
[root at localhost boot]#

All that is left to do is burn it. I don't know if custom CDs or user
compiled kernels will be supported on this list
if not, you are free to contact me outside of the list if you would like
some suggestions.

I'd really like to see some sort of config menus pushed out by Fedora
Core 5 landing date.
Simple things like, NFS, LDAP, Gateway/DHCP srever, Services, runlevel
and Desktop Environment would be nice to have
for the end user to choose. Say, you install Gnome and KDE, or KDE and
Fluxbox.