[Fedora-livecd-list] Kadischi question

Saikat Guha saikat at cs.cornell.edu
Tue Jan 31 23:30:45 UTC 2006

Hi,

I was looking to help test out Kadishi etc. I created a CD image (using
the CVS just now based on FC4 release); tried booting into it from
VMWare, but encountered some problems.

I am running Kadishi CVS on a FC4 x86-64, with anaconda appropriately
patched. The source image is the FC4 32-bit release version. The CD
creation process runs fine without any errors. The CD created is used to
boot up a VMWare image; said VMWare image successfully boots both 64-bit
and 32-bit FC4 rescue CD's. When booting up with the Kadischi created
CD, I run into the following problems.

1) Waiting for ISOLINUX to boot into the default image / or picking
'linux' or 'test' at that bootprompt all generate a kernel panic. It
appears that the kernel couldn't mount root.

2) Booting into 'test root=/dev/hdc' detects and mounts the ISO9660
filesystem just fine; it then successfully moves the old root to /initrd
and frees up some memory (based on debug printouts). Then it stops
producing output after printing out 'Warning: unable to open an initial
console.' Adding selinux=0 to the boot params doesn't fix this. I am
using whatever udev comes with FC4 release.

3) Booting 'vmlinuz root=/dev/hdc init=/bin/bash' gives the same
warning (about initial console) and complains that the kernel attempted
to kill init.

Am I missing something in getting it to boot?
--
Saikat