[Fedora-livecd-list] Saving user data and configurations

Jasper O'neal Hartline jasperhartline at adelphia.net
Mon Jul 3 04:35:20 UTC 2006

Hi.

On the wiki under the Schedule it states to use Linux4All as a starting
point for saving user data and configurations.
I have went against this approach and have written a small script here
that uses dialog, and simply asks the (root) user
if they would like to mount a disk partition under /home, since a logout
and login of any standard user will use this directory.

It supports disks hd[a-d][1-4] and sd[a-d][1-4] likewise is currently
written to allow Ext2, Ext3 or Vfat partitions.
Once the options are chosen, disk, partition, and filesystem type, it is
mounted under /home for the user.
I have also written a userhome.desktop file to be placed in
/root/.config/autostart to launch the menu.

I'm curious if this is a better approach than Linux4All's
search-and-destroy method.
I think it is a good approach for a start to allow mounting something
under home, whether it be a HDD partition or a USB flash device.
Likewise it can be built upon.

Good idea or not?

Chitlesh, were you going to write a Zenity equivalent to 07accounts.sh?

J. Hartline