[Fedora-livecd-list] hdd installs from livecd patch - where?

Jane Dogalt jdogalt at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 13 20:20:53 UTC 2006

--- Jasper O'neal Hartline <jasperhartline at adelphia.net> wrote:

> Jeremy Katz wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 2006-07-13 at 01:26 -0700, Jane Dogalt wrote:
> >

> >>An alternative to that (and I think both alternatives have their
> >>usefulness) would be something which just does GUI partitioning, and
> >>then installs the livecd system itself to the harddrive (mkfs's the
> >>new partition, copies the squashfs contents, undoes the changes that
> >>were made specifically for the livecd environment).
> >>

> >Doing this is an extremely bad and dangerous proposition.  There are way
> >too many things that you can't really just "undo" from a live CD.  I've
> >been through this before, I think even on this list...
> >

> Right. First of all it is SquashFS which is only appendable, not writeable.

That really has nothing to do with the issue.  You would make an ext3
filesystem on the disk, and copy the files (not the filesystem image) to the
new filesystem.

> Second, Fedora Core is too robust of an operating system to just "copy
> the LiveCD to disk".

That statement lacks any technical meaning.

> Fedora Core isn't *known* to be a LiveCD, it is known for it's
> full-fledgedness.. so..
> this warrants nothing less than a fully featured, as in with Anaconda,
> harddrive installation.

Just because a user of such a theoretical livecd installer could install a
specific type of fedora system (the type the livecd creator put on the livecd),
does not restrict the user from installing fedora as fully or minimally as they
like using the traditional methods.  I was not proposing a replacement for the
official fedora installation procedure.  Rather I was proposing an additional
feature for a livecd generation tool. (and thereby some subset of the livecds
produced with said tool).

-jdog