[Fedora-livecd-list] hdd installs from livecd patch - where?

Ingo Schaefer ingo at ingo-schaefer.de
Fri Jul 14 06:56:38 UTC 2006

Hello LiveCD-Folks,
Am Donnerstag, den 13.07.2006, 09:28 -0500 schrieb Chris Negus:

> Jeremy, are there plans to produce any sort of combination live
> CD/installer for Fedora 6 (preferably on a DVD)? For those of us who
> want to redistribute Fedora, it would be great to be able to show a live
> CD, then have the user install from the same medium.

Of course it would be great.

Best would be to be able to start anaconda directly from the running
live system. Kadischi is doing this already when producing livecd
images, so why should this not be possible from the running livecd
system?

One benefit of this is: the livecd kernel is exactly the same kernel
which will be installed - so every piece of hardware available to this
kernel will be found on boot, too.
(So the common problem of e.g. hard drive controllers which are
recognized by the install kernel and not by the boot kernel is done in
this case)

One could even load additional drivers, creating/resizing partitions,
backup data a.s.o. during/before installation. This would be a major
benefit compared to actual installation procedure.

My idea would be to include a modified version of the kickstart file on
the cd, which should allow an exact (part-time-interactive) installation
of all things on the livecd (except kadischi extras and things installed
in later stages of livecd production). Part-time-interactive means, that
partitioning, security and policy configuration etc. have to be
interactive, package selection not.

And if we ship anaconda already, this could be used for some kind of
"normal" installation, too (without using the kickstart file)

Of course the preferred and in some cases only possible installation
method must be network based.

> Out of necessity, I put together a live CD that I distributed with the
> Fedora 5 Bible (obviously experimental and unsupportedTM). From the boot
> prompt, they could either run the live CD or launch the installer to do
> a permanent install from the network or other medium.

This is another option I don't like so much.

Regards,
Ingo
--
"Milchreis schmeckt hervorragend, wenn man ihn kurz vor dem Verzehr
durch ein saftiges Steak ersetzt."