[Fedora-livecd-list] Kadischi - preload utilities and daemon

Jane Dogalt jdogalt at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 19 08:40:04 UTC 2006

--- "J. Hartline" <jasperhartline at adelphia.net> wrote:

> Hi.
> I was readong an older message about preload available here:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/preload
> with the proposal being here:
> http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~behdad/blog/preload.txt
>
> Is this something we should still consider with Kadischi?

The concept is similar to the accelerated knoppix thing where they reposition
commonly/early used files into a contiguous chunk (on the faster outer cylinder
of the cd?).

The basic idea of gathering file accesses during a standard/typical boot, and
making sure those files get read and cached as early and quickly as possible is
an optomization definately worth doing.  (even in hard disk boot, but
especially in cdrom boots).

This process can even become scriptable if you can do a simulated boot of the
target system via xen/vmware :)

-jdog