7 proposals - was Re: [Fedora-livecd-list] Kadischi - Anaconda

Jane Dogalt jdogalt at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 31 23:22:34 UTC 2006

--- "J. Hartline" <jasperhartline at adelphia.net> wrote:

> Jane Dogalt wrote:
>
> >*** proposal 1 ***
> >*** integrating the current functionality of kadischi directly into anaconda
> >
> >a) new commandline option --output-livecd=/path/to/destination.iso
> >

> It has been suggested to just use rootpath.

I don't understand this.  Currently kadischi is "just using rootpath", and then
processing the results into a livecd iso.

I'm merely proposing folding kadischi's logic into anaconda.

> What my personal focus is just:
> 1) Building Live media (CD or DVD)
> 2) Installing from Live media (CD or DVD)
>
> This would require us to determine without intervention of the user
> if we are running from an installed system to build a LiveCD or running
> from a LiveCD
> to install a system.

I see your patch, and I see that it's looking at the host system, but I don't
really understand why.

my proposal #1 (which I'm assuming is what your comments apply to), has nothing
to do with running from a livecd to install a system.  It is soley about
running anaconda on some system (fc5 install, fc7 install, debian, customized
knoppix, anything), and generating a livecd .iso output from the input of a
fc5.iso, user-input, and optionally a kickstart and/or user payload. (just like
kadischi does now)

> Rootpath can be used in both of these instances..
> if and only if
> doing some conditionalizing enable or disable partitioning and
> bootloader installation.

I'm not suggesting (even in the other props) using rootpath to install from
livecd media.  Currently rootpath is the conditional which disables
partitioning.

Really, I'm not personally interested in my props 1-4, though I may try to
implement them at some point.  I mainly brought them up as a response to what
the UI should be for kadischi.  It seems to me that kadischi is already using
anaconda for the majority of it's UI, and it seems only natural to me to merely
extend anaconda a bit to cover the livecd specific options.  I.e. anaconda is
already this huge GUI infrastructure that seems very well suited to the task at
hand.  And having both pieces of the UI (traditional system installer, and new
livecd configuration) be part of one seamless app is even more of a win.

Myself, I'm more intrested, at first at least, in my props 5-7, as I intend to
use fully kickstarted GUIless installs for most of my own pursuits.  Though a
long long time down the road, when I want to gooify my stuff, anaconda seems
like the obvious place to look to.

If you're still confused by what I'm aiming for, well, hopefully I can show you
what I mean with an iso in the not too distant future.

-jdog