[Fedora-livecd-list] Google Summer Of Code - project idea

Jan Wrobel wrobel at blues.ath.cx
Wed May 3 23:55:14 UTC 2006

Hi,

I would like to take part in this year Google Summer of Code and I
have an idea of a project that maybe interesting for you. Please let
me know what do you think about it.

I am thinking about a program that will try to get network
configuration from windows registry at LiveCD startup.  It can check
out if there are any windows partitions, try to mount them read only
and look if there is registry file at some standard locations. Reading
registry can be painful but there are some open source programs that
can read data from this file so I guess it is doable. I think that it
would be very useful feature. A lot of LiveCD users are Linux newbies
who have Windows on a drive, not every one has DHCP configured and
getting network running is a hard task for a beginner. I think it is
important to make this first contact with Linux as smooth as possible.

What do you think about this idea? Is it something useful for Fedora
project? Are there chances that I will find a mentor if if my
application is good enough or should I apply for a different project?

Best regards,
Jan Wrobel