[Fedora-livecd-list] Live "USB" trends amd Fedora live CD

Jane Dogalt jdogalt at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 25 00:16:46 UTC 2006

--- Wayne Sherman <wsherman at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been researching live distros, and it seems to be a trend that
> Live "CD" distros are increasingly supporting Live "USB" also.  For
> example, DSL has a "5-way install script" that supports several boot
>
>    http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/usb.html
>
> One thing I really like is that in addition to booting directly from
> CD
> or USB, you can also boot from inside another Windows or Linux
> environment using the Qemu emulator:
>
>    http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/usb-qemu.html
>
> I really like Fedora, and hope the developers will officially
> incorporate live USB support since many users want to boot from a USB
> memory device.  Are there any plans for this?
>
> I suggest considering a change of the name from Fedora Live "CD" to
> something more general.  Booting from USB, CD, Qemu, IEEE1394, and
> network are all possible booting options.

I agree.  Obviously livedvd's are already widespread, and liveblurays
are probably already useful.

I doubt you'll get much disagreement that a feature switch on the
'livecd/system generator' tool should exist, to differentiate between
'output a liveiso', 'output a liveusb image', 'output a generic tgz'.

Likewise, I would think a good generator, even of linux livecds, would
have an option to include an installation of qemu&cygwin&firefox for
win32, such that the livecd could either be trivially booted natively,
or trivially run under qemu under windows.

Yup, lots of work remains to be done to make the ultimate system image
generator...

(I actually have low priority plans to implement the above as well,
with the system image generator sufficiently portable
(bash/python/qemu/X) so that it can be natively run under winblowz as
well, straight from one of it's output liveisos.  Bwa Ha Ha...

-dmc/jdog