[Fedora-livecd-list] Kadischi - USB fork?

Jasper O'neal Hartline jasperhartline at adelphia.net
Wed Sep 6 05:54:44 UTC 2006

It wouldn't be terribly difficult. In fact the major difference is simply in
the initramfs rc, and using mkisofs. Instead of invoking mkisofs, you
would just need
a filesystem in RAM, of course large enough to accommodate the current
squashed tree
move the squashed rootfs and /boot/ folder into the RAM filesystem, then
make the image.

This sounds like it could cost alot of RAM, however not much if you
think about the size of
USB flash sticks today. 512MB, 1GB. So on. In any case the compression
ratio for SquashFS
is so efficient that 512MB finalized rootfs squashed is about 1.3GB in
unsquashed packages and files.
That is fairly large for just a pocket Fedora Linux.

I'll work on a little fork of Kadischi on my own time and perhaps will
send some links
to where to get it, maybe it could be included in Kadischi proper!
I've already built some LiveUSB images myself, and just thought I'd
share the idea with the list.
LiveUSB Fedora is really what you think it is, it ROCKS!

J. Hartline

I'd like to hear more thoughts on this.