[Fedora-livecd-list] pilgrim livecd work

Chitlesh GOORAH chitlesh at fedoraproject.org
Sat Sep 23 13:19:18 UTC 2006

On 9/20/06, Greg DeKoenigsberg <gdk at redhat.com> wrote:
> These three facts, in my mind, are reason enough to ask the Fedora Live CD
> community to consider the benefits of Pilgrim.  If we want to develop the
> two technologies side-by-side, that's fine too.  But this is the
> fedora-livecd-list -- *not* the kadischi list.

Great words :)
Yes, this is not a kadischi list, and I welcome David or pilgrim users
to continue discuussions here, in this list.

Actually, i'll think 2 different mechanisms output the same product,
is a waste !

For the past 3 days, we have talked and talked. SO WHAT IS NEXT ?

The kadischi's development community isn't that huge, 3 at most. And
soon we will have 4 mechanism for creating fedora livecds.
- Kadischi
- pilgrim
- Jeremy's code
- Jane Dogalt's work

To my guess, the last three has one developper ? That makes us around
6 working for the same output, a fedora livecd!

Thus, why not work together to make something _centralized_ ? Just
like fedora likes to do.
I've been to the Kadischi Project since January, and I feel our goals
are fading away due to lack of communcation with other fedora
projects.

Rahul did reveal something, a LiveCD can be used for:
- Freemedia, lower the expenses (Max would be happy)
- unleashKDE, more contributors to KDE (i'll be happy and Rex too:) )

Can we make kadischi a centralized tool for livecd generation but with plugins ?
By plugins, I mean

kadischi package:

- /usr/bin/kadischi-pilgrim
- /usr/bin/kadischi-anaconda
- kadischi core
- post install scripts

Both certainly have the same core and similar post -install scripts,
but the methods vary.

/usr/bin/kadischi-pilgrim calls for core and uses yum and doesn't
depends on anaconda and finally uses common post install scripts .
Output a livecd image

if /usr/bin/kadischi-anaconda calls for core and uses anaconda and
finally uses common post install scripts . Output a livecd image.

Hence, we all can work on "kadischi core" and both David and Jasper
will be happy (I guess).

David, do you think that this may be posssible with the OLPC project.
Jasper,  what do you think about it ?

Just like anaconda, kadischi does have some *business* interest :) by
its users. Some of kadischi's users use it for their own small
business and they are subcribed to this list.

What you guys think about it ?

Chitlesh
--
http://clunixchit.blogspot.com