[Fedora-livecd-list] pilgrim livecd work

David Zeuthen davidz at redhat.com
Sun Sep 24 03:02:06 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-09-23 at 20:58 -0500, Jasper Hartline wrote:
> > The live cd contains the installed bits already, e.g. for example all
> > the X.org stuff, the GNOME stuff, /bin/bash or whatever is already
> > available and can be copied over to the hard disk.
> >
> That's just splendid.

I think so.

> You're sacrificing flexibility and user choice

There is no loss of flexibility and user choice.

> for what you think is the
> right way to do things
> and accommodate for the least common denominator

Both Kadischi and pilgrim are live CD's. The live cd created will always
have to make a choice what to put on the CD's. People installing the
live CD to hard disk can always use Pirut

> which is someone
> without any network, and if they
> had a network, not enough bandwidth to surf the web for a month in
> general use cases.

Not at all. It's just an added bonus users don't need a network to
actually install the OS to a hard disk.

> This simply is not Kadischi's goal.
> Kadischi will allow you to build and install from a LiveCD with a
> diverse package set.

So will pilgrim. Users can simply use Pirut to install software
afterwards.

> As much as Anaconda allows.

... and there is no need to have constraints imposed by anaconda in
pilgrim.

> In the LiveDVD case there is no downloading anything duplicate.

Of course there is as you'll include the binary both as an RPM and in
the squashfs (or whatever). Also, DVD media is more expensive than CD
media. So are DVD writers.

I think this thread isn't useful anymore. Suggest we just put our
differences aside.

Good luck,
David