[Fedora-livecd-list] Live USB converter script

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed Apr 4 05:09:23 UTC 2007

On 03.04.2007 22:11, Luke Macken wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 01:20:25PM -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
>>> Do you have a proper MBR on the stick that jumps to the bootsector of
>>> the active partition (that where syslinux is installed as far as I can
>>> see from this discussion)?
>> It did.  I think this a sketchy BIOS.  Will was going to try a BIOS
>> update now.
>> FWIW, a good way to check if the USB key is bootable is to install qemu
>> adn then run:
>>    qemu -hda /path/to/usb/stick -m 256 -std-vga
>> If that comes up to the boot screen, then the stick _should_ be bootable
>> modulo BIOS problems.  It's a nice, quick and easy way to ensure some
>> basic sanity
> I am able to run the livecd on my USB stick using qemu, but I get the
> 'Boot error' message when trying to boot straight up with my T43.  I
> just tried to update my bios and such, but that completely failed and
> told me to contact my support :(

Another wild guess from someone that didn't try the live-USB stuff yet:
There are some systems around that boot only with a superfloppy-like
Stick (e.g. one without MBR and thus without partition table -- e.g.
where one big "partition" that holds all the data) while others run only
if the stick has an MBR on it.

CU
thl