[Fedora-livecd-list] Test3 LiveCD QA issues

David Zeuthen davidz at redhat.com
Wed Apr 4 16:47:44 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-04 at 11:46 -0400, Max Spevack wrote:
> ======================
>
> Booting the LiveCD, grub gives you two options:
>
> Fedora-7-Test3-Live-i386
> Fedora-7-Test3-Live-i386 from RAM
>
> This is confusing -- should I choose default or no?  What's the difference
> between the two?  I think users will be confused.

The FC6 live cd said "(run from RAM - requires 1GB+)" instead of "from
RAM" which may be less confusing to at least English speaking users..

> ======================
>
> The default user name at the Live CD's gdm -- this is a simple change
>
> s/Fedora live CD/Fedora/
>
> then if it's a LiveUSB or LiveDVD, the user name doesn't look odd

Sounds good to me...

> ======================
>
> First impressions of the LiveCD desktop

Note that mostly all of your comments below also apply to the default
desktop install.. best is to just fix the problems there. So I'm adding
fedora-desktop-list to get out the desktop people to read this. For
reference, the original mail was here

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-livecd-list/2007-April/msg00036.html

I basically agree with most of your points; some specific comments
below...

> We want it to be uncluttered, and to show off the coolest stuff in the
> most obvious way.  To that end:
>  	- do we need the SCIM module in the top right?

It would be nice if SCIM didn't show an icon for certain locales that
use latin1, e.g. English, Danish, German, Dutch etc. So this should be
fixed in SCIM itself... we shouldn't do a quick one-off for the live CD;
we need to fix SCIM and keep including it by default...

Keep in mind that the live CD may be used by people who don't
speak/read/understand a word of English.

>  	- do we need the Desktop search module in the top right?

No, it should go IMO. Not Live CD specific.

> What about the default applications at the top of the GNOME panel?
>  	- now: evolution, web browser

Not Live CD specific. Agree it needs work... personally I think the web
browser icon is butt ugly; it should show Firefox as that's the default
browse... btw, it's even worse; a default desktop install we show icons
for three OO applications. Do we really think that OO.o is the first
thing people do?

(I mean, this setup might be fine for "RHEL Desktop" but I'd wager any
day of the week, and twice on Sundays, that it isn't true for Fedora)

>      - "Other->Theme Installer" doesn't do anything, and should be
>      removed

Fixed already in Rawhide AFAIK.

You missed my favorite pet peeve about the default desktop install. We
show two trash cans, one in lower panel and one on the desktop. Do we
_really_ want people to call us the trash distro? :-)

     David