[Fedora-livecd-list] Targetting other file systems besides iso

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Thu Apr 26 09:22:21 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 13:41 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-04-24 at 15:10 -0400, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> > At OLPC we need to support ext3 and jffs2 builds even more so than
> > livecd isos.  Since most of the process is the same up until the final
> > image and bootloaders we would like to add this support into the livecd
> > tools so that all fedora projects use one toolchain.  The question is
> > how can this best be accomplished?
> >
> > I think passing a --variant switch (i.e. --variant=jffs2) should switch
> > the backend to generating the correct image.
>
> I think adding an option
>
>  --target=[livecd|
>            disk_msdos_ext3|
>            disk_msdos_ext3_separate_boot|
>            ext3|
>            jffs2]
>
> with this help text (for --help)
>
>  --target     Choose target mode; defaults to livecd
>               livecd: A compressed livecd ISO with the root file system
>               disk_msdos_ext3 : An image with a MSDOS partitioning
>                                 table, a single ext3 data partition and
>                                 a bootloader for IBM PC hardware
>               disk_msdos_ext3_separate_boot : Like disk_msdos_ext3 only
>                                 that /boot is on a separate partition.
>               ext3            : A single ext3 partition
>               jffs2           : A jffs2 file system
>
> is what we want. Perhaps disk_msdos_ext3_separate_boot can be achieved
> by a separate option just like we have --skip-compression for
> --target=livecd. Thoughts?

	I've a few of patches to do something similar, except I've been using
livecd-creator to build xen system images for the likes of image based
deployment (e.g. stateless) or this virtual appliances notion.

	See the attached patches - the first makes LiveCDTarget be a sub-class
of InstallationTarget, the second adds --target and the last adds
RawTarget which I've been playing with.

Cheers,
Mark.