[Fedora-livecd-list] Support for custom configuration using python templates

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Fri Apr 27 19:52:06 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-27 at 13:45 -0400, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> %post to me is a workaround all together.  I would really have liked
> this to be more declarative, then tools could be written which had
> context to what is going on instead of this RPM black box.  A couple of
> things are already declarative in ks such as turning on and off default
> init scripts.

The problem is that arbitrary substitutions within files really isn't
declarative.  Adding things that are (like services, etc) doesn't tend
to be hard or that controversial.  But when you get to the degree of
what you're wanting, you really want a config management system like
puppet, cfengine, etc.  And I think that the _eventual_ answer is that
we'll standardize on something like that as The Config Management
Solution at which point a stronger integration into the config will make
plenty of sense.  But you don't really want to have integration with
cfengine and puppet and ... -- instead, we need to get to where we can
make an educated decision and stick with it.