[Fedora-livecd-list] RFC- mayflower flexibility enhancements

ashok shankar das asdas at redhat.com
Mon Aug 13 06:29:47 UTC 2007

Douglas McClendon wrote:

> Tim Wood wrote:
>
>> The one comment I'd have is would it be possible to feed some (or
>> all) of these options in as a config file?
>

> Most of my RFC was basically about extending the functionality of the
> mayflower.conf config file.  But currently, as far as livecd-creator
> (and presumably revisor) is concerned, a mayflower.conf is hard-coded.
>
> The question is whether or not there is any reason to expose the
> livecd-creator or revisor user to these sorts of options.
>
> For the selinux enabled on an selinux disabled system, I think this
> should all happen inside livecd creator, and cause things to 'just
> work' (versus now, where it detects the situation, and says 'too bad,
> you can't do this').
>
> For the anaconda rpm build as non-root user, this really has nothing
> to do with livecd-creator or revisor.
>
> And for the vastly trickier idea of livecd-creator as non-root, again,
> there is no aspect that the livecd-creator or revisor user should care
> about, other than having it just work.
>

>  Then (I believe) someone could
>
>> have a kickstart and a config file to handle everything.  Then
>> Revisor would need one additional field to select the path to this
>> config file.   A couple of advantages:
>> * A sample kickstart and a sample config with lots of comments and
>> all the options plus a basic tutorial would be all the documentation
>> many people would need
>> * It would make it much simpler to return to a project months later
>> and tweak/tune/use it (find 2 files you left in /etc/revisor/... vs.
>> files there, notes somewhere else and maybe some custom bash code
>> somewhere else)
>

> What you are getting at here, is really the crux of the debate I had
> with jeremy over the addsdir/addidir patch, and the ideal of
> reproducability from a _single_ config file.
>
> The basic problem, which I think you solved with your outline above,
> is that kickstart is simply not appropriate to be the one _single_
> config file for a livecd project.  The two examples that immediately
> spring to mind are

I agree, Kickstart should not be the_ only_ file for configuration.

> 1) files added to the iso filesystem.  E.g. like ubuntu's inclusion of
> the windows firefox installer.  Or a generic web page to be viewed
> under windows when the livecd is inserted in a windows system.

Why only LiveCD, think beyond the liveCD. Eg. Small systems can be fit
on to a USBstick, Rescue systems, small network servers, small streamers
etc...

> 2) the persistence feature.

It is a must have feature. But again this should be configurable.
Currently Which I developed is doing a persistence at the time of
instalation(again a bit hard coded).