[Fedora-livecd-list] liveinst fails after resize of image

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Dec 10 15:38:05 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 23:28 -0800, mdda wrote:
> > What does the kickstart config you're using for the install look like?
> My idea is to fix up everything, but let the user make changes - and I've
> found a way to make it work.
>
> First : The (unchanged) Kickstart file :
> http://www.nabble.com/file/p14226119/eee-live-install.ks eee-live-install.ks
>
> Some pertinent points :
> * I'm forcing the install partition to be ext2 (the rumour is that this will
> wear down the Eee's internal flash least)

Is the partition on your live image ext2 also?  If not, then I can
definitely see that leading to some of the weirdness you're describing.

> * I found that the sizing of the (faked) partition within the ISO (at
> 4096Mb) was too large for the Eee's 3.8Gb flash drive - and that the
> minsizing thing wasn't behaving somehow (my ISO-building machine is fully
> yum updated).  So I fixed this hurdle by forcing the the size to (like)
> 2048Mb in livecd-creator.

davidz said something along these lines, but I did an install on
Thursday or so into a virtual disk that was < 4 gigs without problems.
And even with swap.  So there's something weird going on with the Eee in
particular, but I'm not sure what.  :-/

> * To be on the safe side, I commented out the call to
> self._resizeRootfs(anaconda, wait) in _doFilesystemMangling (this may have
> been overkill, but it occurred to me that 'resize2fs' wouldn't be happy
> resizing a mounted ext2 partition, so that might be causing problems)

The resize is done without the filesystem mounted, so this shouldn't be
needed

> * Most significantly (?), since the writing of $SYSIMAGE/etc/fstab seemed to
> be failing because $SYSIMAGE/etc wasn't there, I brute-forced the following
> inside doPostInstall in /usr/lib/anaconda/livecd.py :
>
>     def doPostInstall(self, anaconda):
>         self._doFilesystemMangling(anaconda)

_doFilesystemMangling ends up remounting the filesystems, so they should
be mounted at that point