[Fedora-livecd-list] What happens if I partition from a live cd?

Joel Andres Granados jgranado at redhat.com
Mon Feb 12 08:46:31 UTC 2007

Jane Dogalt wrote:
> --- Leslie Vincent <lvincent at dtcc.edu> wrote:
>

>> I'm trying to modify some Linux labs for a class I'm teaching so that
>>
>> students can work from home on their non-Linux system using the
>> Fedora
>> 6 Zod live CD on their Windows-based PCs.
>>
>> One lab has them running fdisk to create a partition, though, and the
>>
>> last thing I want is to have them do something that's going to mess
>> up
>> their PCs.  Is there a way to have them play with running fdisk off
>> the
>> live CD without it affecting their PC's actual hard drives?
>>

> qemu?
>
> i.e.
>
> qemu-img create /tmp/fakebits.img 100G
> qemu -boot d -cdrom /dev/livecd -hdc /tmp/fakebits.img -m 256
>
> (booting the livecd virtually from within the livecd.  Make sure to
> make the fakebits device one that is nonexistent on teh real system,
> just in case someone thinks they are typing in the virtual host, but
> are typing in the real host).  That is assuming qemu is on the livecd.
>

> Or you could create an empty file, associate it with a loop device, and
> partition that perhaps.
>
> -dmc/jdog
>

>> I'd play with it myself but I'm at home and don't have access to a
>> system that I'm willing to rebuild if I mess up my own hard drive!
>>
>> Thanks to anyone who can answer this.
>>

>> --

Vmware is another possibility.  Download Vmware from
http://www.vmware.com/download/ (I understand you have to be
registered).  Once the students have a virtual machine installed in
their windows box (There is an virtual machine creation wizard that they
can follow) they can start the fedora live cd by inserting the cd in the
computer drive ( The virtual machine has to be configured to look at the
physical drive and not something differente like an iso image,  but
thats usually the default configuration so I would suppose there needs
to be no additional configuration.).
This setup allows them to fdisk all they want and not be in danger of
damaging their box.

Regards
Joel