[Fedora-livecd-list] patch, manifest changes

Jane Dogalt jdogalt at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 23 22:56:16 UTC 2007

--- Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:

> Jeremy Katz (katzj at redhat.com) said:
> > > First, I eliminated docs from the livecd with a patch to
> > > livecd-creator (attached).
> >
> > Hmm... I'm not sure if we really want to do this unconditionally.
> And
> > given that we later can install from the live CD, is removing the
> docs
> > something we really want to do?
>
> It's stuff in /usr/share/doc and info pages. Are either of those
> appropriate for a *Desktop* livecd?

While I agree that ruthlessly nuking things like /usr/share/doc is a
useful way to make your livecd image smaller, it seems like a bad thing
to me for the case here.  In addition to Jeremy's point, I'll just
throw in my anecdotal usage example-

firefox file:///usr/share/doc/qemu-bla/index.html

Is wanting to read the manual for the software you are using on a
livecd something that "doesn't make sense for a *desktop* livecd".  I
think the answer is no.  (but again, having several flags to
livecd-creator to prune your target tree in typical ways (e.g. nuking
usr/share/doc, or /var/lib/rpm) does seem useful to me for the general
livecd generation case).

-dmc/jdog