[Fedora-livecd-list] Potential Code Reorganization

Adam Dutko dutko.adam at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 10:44:49 UTC 2007

First off, I'd like to say "Thank you!" to David for the wonderful code
base.  :-)  This morning I started reading through the code for the
livecd-creator component and I think it might be beneficial to insert a
check into the main routine to check the users system for essential tools
(toolsets) before continuing with the build process.  I suggest this be done
because my first build failed because I did not have squashfs-tools
installed and hence, did not have the mksquashfs program to complete the
build.

   Maybe it can be something as easy as:

   if ( open('/sbin/mksquashfs', 'r') ):
   print "Squash-tools installed, continuing with build..."
else:
   print "Please install the 'squash-tools' rpm using yum then try again."
   quit

This idea could be expanded to test for all necessary tools needed to build
the iso and should be performed "up-front" before they can proceed.  If a
user is missing one (or more) then we can tell them which rpm to install
using yum to fix the problem.  If they are missing none, we can move onto
the build routine.  This way, installation support questions might be
minimized on the mailing list.  Just a thought.  Let me know if this is
something that should be pursued and I'll submit a patch.  Thanks.

-Adam