[Fedora-livecd-list] Making a livecd usb flash with fedora 7

William Cohen wcohen at redhat.com
Wed Jun 6 17:31:15 UTC 2007

Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 09:33 -0400, William Cohen wrote:
>> Does the process of generating an usb flash key with a live cd work?
>
> Works great for me.  Unfortunately, different USB keys will sometimes
> require some tweaking based on how they're shipped :-/
>
>> I was trying to make a live usb flash image based on fedora 7. I was
>> unsuccessful. I was able to take a live image and copy it over to a usb flash
>> device using livecd-iso-to-disk command. However, the device did not boot. It
>> would print a message that Grub was starting up and then give an "Error 17". The
>> attempt was to create a FC7 i686 image using a x86_64 rawhide machine. The
>>   I am wondering if there is some differences in what linux names the usb key
>> and what the bios names the device are causing the problems. The machine this is
>> running on is a compaq presario R3000.
>
> A grub message?  We're not using grub for the F7 live images.  Did you
> previously have a regular install on there?  If so, you probably need to
> replace the mbr with a "stock" mbr with something like
>    cat /usr/lib/syslinux/mbr.bin > /dev/sdX

Yes, the old mbr was the problem. I wiped the "stock" mbr. I was previous using
the key for booting a olpc machine and the mbr must have been left over from
that. I assumed that livecd-iso-to-disk took care of the mbr. I guess that is
what I get when I assume.

I have images from a livecd-creator iso working in the USB flash. I just wished
that the kernel-debuginfos required by systemtap were not so huge. Only have
700MB of room on CD and the kernel-debuginfo takes a lot of space.

-Will