[Fedora-livecd-list] Adding files into the CD root file system

Alexandre Magaz Graça alexm at asic.udl.cat
Fri Jun 29 07:00:43 UTC 2007

Jeremy Katz escribió:
> On Tue, 2007-06-26 at 08:45 +0200, Alexandre Magaz Graça wrote:
>> I'm making a LiveCD that I want to autorun (from Windows and Linux) to
>> open a browser showing some help about how it works. So I added a new
>> option that lets add to the CD root file system.
>>
>> If someone finds it useful, the attached patch adds this option to
>> pilgrim. The patch is for the latest git version.
>
> While this is useful, more generally, you may want to add other
> directories as well.  Or be able to modify the bootloader config.  So I
> wonder if more accurately what's wanted is really implementing
> --nochroot for %post from the config.  That way, you could do whatever
> you want.
>
> The reason against is that it's kind of scary to let an unchroot'd
> script run when creating live CDs as the config may or may not be
> trustable.
>
> Jeremy

Well, you really can add as many directories as you want. You get the
contents of the directory into the root, not the directory itself. So if
  you specify --add-extra-files dir and the contents of dir are a single
file named help.html, you get something like this:

/
|-- sysroot
|-- isolinux
|   |-- boot.cat
|   |-- initrd.img
|   |-- isolinux.bin
|   |-- isolinux.cfg
|   |-- splash.jpg
|   |-- vesamenu.c32
|   `-- vmlinuz
|-- help.html
[...]

instead of this other

/
|-- sysroot
|-- isolinux
|   |-- boot.cat
|   |-- initrd.img
|   |-- isolinux.bin
|   |-- isolinux.cfg
|   |-- splash.jpg
|   |-- vesamenu.c32
|   `-- vmlinuz
|-- dir
|   `-- help.html
[...]

So, you only have to put directories inside dir. But yes, it doesn't
solves the boot loader problem and others :(

Cheers,
Àlex