[Fedora-livecd-list] Customizing home directory

Chris Negus cnegus at rucls.net
Sat Mar 3 03:53:38 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-02 at 19:02 +0000, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> On 02/03/07, Hikaru Amano <kagesenshi.87 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > This is a quick + ugly hack.. it works for me ...
> >
> > boot the liveCD .. customize the desktop etc ... then .. scp
> > /home/<username>/ to another computer ... afterward .. in the config
> > script, tell the config to copy back the the home folder into place ..
>
> Please excuse my ignorance but...how do I tell the config to do this!?

I think he's suggesting that you first make the basic live CD that you
want. Then boot that CD and customize everything (set you background,
screen colors, and other desktop preferences). Even add the data files
you want to the home directory. Then backup all that stuff to another
computer (or maybe to your local hard disk).

Next, go and build your live CD again, but this time copy your
saved /home/<username> directory to the chroot environment of your CD.
You can do that by adding a single cp -ar line to your kickstart
postinstall section.

It's a little ugly, but it's easy. One thing to look out for is that you
want to be sure to clear out cache and history files before backing up
the home directory. For instance, if you were browsing americanidol.com
(or whatever), anyone who checks the browser history on your live CD
will know about it. ;)

-- Chris Negus