[Fedora-livecd-list] live DVD

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Wed Mar 7 18:54:58 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 16:21 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 11:44 -0500, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 15:23 +0100, Sebastian Vahl wrote:
> > > I've got just a short question: Is creating of a live dvd possible with
> > > the current version of livecd-creator (001-3)?
> > >
> > > A few minutes ago I've tried to create one. The size of the packages to
> > > be downloaded was 1.0 Gb. Then yum fails with an transaction error.
> > > There should not be enough free space on the filesystem.
> >
> > The big thing right now stopping it is the hard-coded 3 gig os.img.
> > Making it possible to specify that should be pretty straight-forward --
> > if someone wanted to take a crack at the patch, it would be good.  My
> > personal preference would be to specify something like "part / --size
> > 5000" or whatever in the kickstart config and if that's not specified,
> > we can fallback to something sensible much like we do now.
> >
> > If no one gets to it first, I will eventually.
>
> It's a sparse file backing the file system so just make it 100GB (or
> 2-32TB since ext3 supports that nowadays) and then resize2fs it down
> before completion so it's approx 2-4GB larger than the payload in the
> file. No need to add an option for this.

I seem to remember something which makes resizing less of a good idea
when you're shrinking.  But my memory is fuzzy on what it is now.

You'll definitely take a hit on creation time if doing a significantly
larger filesystem like this, though, as mke2fs and resize2fs aren't the
fastest operations in the world.