[Fedora-livecd-list] Re: patch review and move of livecd scm

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Mar 8 17:15:21 UTC 2007

On Thursday 08 March 2007 12:08:16 David Zeuthen wrote:
> So I don't really think that the lack of secondary-arch rpms on the live
> cd (no 32-bit packages for x86_64, (almost no) 64-bit packages on ppc64)
> is going to create this horror picture where things are dramatically
> different as long as our repos still contain the secondary-arch packages
> and our tools, e.g. yum and pirut and whatever, is capable of pulling in
> the deps. Besides, the live CD already differs from the installed set;
> there's no OO.o to start with for instance.

It's not about the package count, it's about the capability.  You're removing
the capability for an x86_64 live CD to run 32bit software.  That is a
feature we are quite proud of for Fedora.  We spent a lot of time and effort
to make it work a best we could, when other distributions decided to just
pass on it.  Removing this functionality from something we'll want to be able
to use to show off our features seems like a bad decision to me.  The damned
constraint of 700megs is what kills us time and time again, and it will only
get worse.  The functionality of our LiveCD will only get worse over time if
we stick to CD size.  Perhaps we do only DVD live images for multiarch
platforms.  The tool set should still allow for creating a single arch x86_64
CD, but that isn't something I want to publish as any sort of official Fedora
release.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora