[Fedora-livecd-list] Re: patch review and move of livecd scm

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Mar 8 21:43:23 UTC 2007

On Thursday 08 March 2007 16:23:28 Greg Dekoenigsberg wrote:
> Can somebody recapitulate the heart of the argument in, oh, a paragraph?

To multilib or not to multilib: that is the question:
Whether 'tis noble in the project to suffer
the same functionality of the regular install
upon the live CD
Or to take away features to fit on one CD

ok enough of that.

Basically if we do an x86_64 LiveCD the question is whether or not to do
multilib, that is enable being able to run 32bit code/apps on the LiveCD and
upon the system once a user has done an install from LiveCD.  If we do
multilib, we get hurt some on space, and will probably have to do a LiveDVD
instead or drop a lot more packages.

David is of the opinion of sacrificing the feature of multilib to deliver an
x86_64 pure LiveCD that fits on a CD, while I'm of the opinion that we
shouldn't drop that feature especially as the regular install will in fact
install multilib stuff, while the install from LiveCD will not have any of
that in place.

I think there may be some other opinions, I know Jeremy seems to be in favor
of multilib, but he's about to be on vacation for a week+ so we may not see
his input.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora