[Fedora-livecd-list] Different iso sizes

Jane Dogalt jdogalt at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 14 17:11:52 UTC 2007

--- Sebastian Vahl <ml at deadbabylon.de> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I've got just a small question: I've created three isos from the same
> configuration. Each three created iso images have different sizes.
> Is this related to squashfs? And if so: What would be the "best" way
> create the smallest possible iso?

This is just a theory, but...

with the livecd generator I'm developing, which at the moment uses the
same basic mechanism as LFS/pilgrim, I actually go ahead and do an
extra full copy of the target system into a fresh ext3 sparse image
file 'container' _after_ the install has completed.

While I haven't done any experiments to verify that my logic is valid,
the theory I was operating under was that with the way the sparse file
works, if you write files to that filesystem and then delete them, you
are going to suffer that disk usage in the sparse ext3 image file even
though the actual file has been 'deleted'.

By waiting until the installation is complete, and then doing _nothing_
but a big tarcopy of the target installed system into a new virgin
sparse filesystem image, then no space would be lost.

If I ever get any actual data to substantiate this theory, I'll post my
test results.

Or maybe livecd-creator already effectively does this.  It's been
awhile since I've looked at those bits of code.

-dmc/jdog