[Fedora-livecd-list] F7 livecd login screen is confusing.

David Zeuthen davidz at redhat.com
Fri Mar 23 18:41:34 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-23 at 14:00 -0400, Will Woods wrote:
> Hi, folks.
>
> So the current F7 LiveCD gives us the gdm greeter, which lets you choose
> a language and options and such. So that's nice. Unfortunately it's not
> at all clear how you actually log in.
>
> There's four options on the screen - Language, Options, Shut Down, and
> Username. The user is not informed of what username to use.
>
> *I* know that I can just click "Fedora live CD" in the face browser to
> log in, but it's not at all obvious.

I think it's pretty obvious.. but maybe you are right. I don't know.
Perhaps the better fix is to change "Please enter your username" to
"Click a face to start" in gdm; that would also work in the non-livecd
case....

Also, fwiw, the face browser is hidden in 800x600 because a lot of
geeks^Wpeople wanted to test this in qemu/vmware/kvm. Maybe a lot of our
users do this too. I don't know. Anyway, realistically a lot of the
reviewers are going to test our live cd this way so I think Ray's fix
needs to be revisited. Ray?

> Could we do something to make this clearer? Changing the full name for
> the user to "Fedora LiveCD - Click to start" would be a really easy fix.

Not an option; the name is used in other places too including the fast
user switch applet and many other places.

     David

ps. : This is probably more F8 material, but it would be nice to have a
live jumbo DVD that includes all of the GNOME, KDE, XFCE whatever live
CD's. Then each "flavor" would have their own user with their own face
in the face browser, e.g.

 [GNOME Logo]   - Fedora GNOME
 [KDE Logo]     - Fedora KDE
 [XFCE Logo]    - Fedora XFCE
 [E17 Logo]     - Fedora E17

and users can even fast user switch between the desktops. Of course, I
don't know how well KDE, XFCE and E17 supports f-u-s. Something to keep
in mind anyway.